Mayday Stories: Day 1 Over the Bridge

 


We were a little behind on our Storyaday prompts, but have no fear for we are quickly working on catching up. For the May 1st prompt, we decided to do a quick scene with two of our upcoming characters! More on them will be revealed soon. 

The scene:

"We can't!" Noble cries into the wind whipping her hair about. She plants her feet with mulish determination. The sky is a forbidding gray, heavy with clouds that promise rain. Ill omens have presented themselves readily throughout the day. Now she knew why. "You know what happened last time we crossed a bridge!"

"Bridges don't randomly explode here." Swift pulls on Noble's hand. "Besides, half of the time it was you wanting to see how the stone would react with fire."

"I own up to the parts I played," Noble insists, refusing to budge. She frantically squeezes Swift's hand instead. "But I had /nothing to do/ with /that/ one."

Swift pats Noble's hand. "I promise, you'll be fine. Face your fears. You got this." She tugs on her friend's hand. "We REALLY need to go to the other side."

"But the risk!" Noble wails.

"What risk? There is no risk! People do this every day. You can be one of those people!" Swift insists. 

"I crashed into the side of a hill and your hair was burnt!" 

"I did detest that haircut. But I promise you, this is fine. You're having an irrational fear." Swift gestures at the bridge. "We need to go to the other side."

"Irrational," Noble growls. "Irrational, she says."

"She does... I do..." Swift points across the bridge. "Now cross the bridge!"

"I can't believe you!" Noble huffs. "Why don't you ever listen to me?"

"Well, right now you're being ridiculous. You're a big villain now, you can do this." Swift tugs her friend forward.

"I know this isn't our world, but a little caution never hurt anybody!" Noble pauses. "Well, except Henry..."

"Just come on Noble!" Swift groans. "No one cares about Henry!" 

"I'm pretty sure Jenne-Ru cares," Noble says. She takes a tiny step. "Are we /sure/ we have to do this?"

"YES!" Swift shouts. "We have to do this. I promise it will be fine."

"Fine." Noble sighs. "But if you're wrong, I'm /never/ letting you live this down."

"If I'm wrong, then we're both dead and I won't have to hear it." Swift turns and makes her way across. "You coming!?"

"You know we don't die that easily," Noble says crossly. And with that, she falls into step behind Swift, fully expecting the little curving bridge to burst apart beneath them.

Swift leans against the side of the bridge as she waits. "See, now was that so hard?"

Noble pinches herself. "I guess not..."

Swift takes her by the arm. "Now, let's go get groceries."

"Can we get some of those crunchy chips?" Noble asks, brightening. "The ones with the little grooves?"

"Of course. It's what the market's for." Swift guides her friend forward and together they make their way to the store and away from the bridge.

Comments

Popular Posts